Monday, August 17, 2015

Hopefully I Only Sound A Little Crazy -- a #PitchWars Mentee Bio



:::dusts off this blog:::

This site is supposed to be a record of the road to publication, and one of these days, it will be once more.

But today is not that day.

Instead--my bio for PitchWars!

Some stuff about me:

1. My name is Lyndsay. No, you will not remember how to spell it correctly.

2. I'm a born New Englander who currently lives in Boston, along with a gray cat. Yes, I say "wicked" on a regular basis, but it's really more of a holdover from a TMNT addiction as a child(adult) than a Bostonian trait I picked up. But it makes an excellent cover...

3. I started writing so long ago that I can't remember when I started, but art was my primary passion for most of my teen years. (I really wanted to be a comic book artist.) I studied graphic design in college, which is what I do today...

4. ...at a major publisher. As far as I can tell, I am the only person to ever accidentally end up working in publishing. Very convenient—the inside view has been invaluable (not to mention many other adjectives I shouldn't list.)

5. No, I don't design covers.

6. In my spare time, I'm the organizer of B-Spec, an offshoot of my former writing group in Rochester, NY, R-Spec. Not to brag, but my writing group is THE BEST WRITING GROUP. (If you doubt this, gather your group(s) and meet us on the town green for a Anchorman-style showdown.)

7. My favorite books are The Count of Monte Cristo, Diane Duane's Young Wizards Series, Katherine Kerr's Deverry series, Transmetropolitan, and Strangers in Paradise. (Yes, the last two are technically comic book series.)

8. I have a bevy of weird hobbies: chocolate snob, antique addict, costume jewelry collector, cocktail enthusiast, casual gambler and occasional handicapper.

9. As a writer, I'm all about solid female characters, though I try to stay away from "I can do this even though I'm a girl!" characters. One of my writing goals is to write female characters whose strength and ability is never, ever in doubt. (And if you've read some of my ms, featuring a girl gunslinger, hopefully this is happening.)

10. I was totally working on another ms, but struggling, so I decided to write this bio instead. La la la ta da la la... totally not procrastinating at all.

11. Procrastination aside, I buckle down. Hard, when it's needed. I may not take every suggestion offered me, but I will at least consider where it's coming from, and why. (The writing group has me well-trained.)


Moving on... my apologies for not including animated gifs. But alas, it's time to get back to work. Those manuscripts won't write themselves. (Why oh WHY won't they write themselves?!!!) But here's a photo that proves that sometimes I have good ideas:




No comments:

Post a Comment